Pasteis de Nata – Portuguese custard tart with lemon, cinnamon & thyme (makes about 12 tarts)
250g brown sugar
125g egg yolks
½ bunch of thyme
1 cinnamon stick
1 lemon (zest only)
2 rolls of puff pastry
1. Boil the milk with the lemon skin, cinnamon and thyme stalks.
2. Mix the sugar and flour together.
3. Strain the infused milk over the sugar and flour, discarding the lemon, thyme and cinnamon.
4. Pour the milk/sugar/flour mixture back into the pan on place on the stove over a gentle heat. Whisk until the mixture starts to come away from the sides of the pan. 4. Allow to cool, then add the egg yolks.
5. Line a muffin or cupcake tray with the puff pastry, then pour in the custard.
6. Bake at 250.C (or as hot as your oven will allow) for about 8 minutes until the tarts caramelise on top.
7. Finish with a small sprinkle of thyme leaves. 8. Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy